Thursday, January 15, 2009

Will my kids be in the Olympics?

Sunday, August 10, 2008
Will my kids be in the Olympics?
I've been watching the Olympics the past few days, just like every other person in the world, and I can't help but dream that my kids will be there someday. I'm sure that every parent has looked at their child and known that they have the ability to be a superior athlete and bring home the gold. Then I blink and realize that it is probably something like 1 in a thousand of the best athletes go. They probably have a better chance of being hit by lightning.
I have 4 kids and between them they swim, run cross country, throw discus, do hurdles, play softball, baseball, t-ball, wrestle, run track, football, and 1 is going to start gymnastics. Will she be my Mary Lou Retton? They do that many sports you would think that at least 1 of them could get their Mom an Olympic gold. I am relatively sure that I could have brought home a gold or at least a silver in gymnastics. That is if I had ever been a competitve gymnast and got over my fear of smashing my face on the floor.
The real people who deserve the medals are the parents. They are the ones who have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on lessons, putting them on teams, GAS, sports equipment. Not to mention the years they sat on bleachers in gymnasiums, by swimming pools, through rain and windstorms at baseball parks(flashback). Always cheering and encouraging no matter what.
Will I be there to watch my kids someday? Probably not. Will I keep dreaming that I WON THE GOLD when Mary Lou Retton did..... definetly.

No comments:

Post a Comment